Sr Application Developer
New York, NY 10012 US
- Title: Senior Applications Developer
- Department: Scholastic Technology Services
- Reports to: Manager/ Senior Manager/ Director of Applications Development
- Location: New York City, New York
This company is responsible for overseeing the continuous development, improvement and operation of e-Commerce, Enterprise applications, Internet and Intranet applications. Currently, these systems support multi million page views a day on the internet, and millions of e-commerce and non commerce transactions per year.
The online environment is split between open source technologies and Vertical stacks from Redhat, Demandware, Adobe, Oracle, Microsoft and AWS. Part of the Engineering best practices various technologies, frame works, tools like Jenkins, Artifactory, Restassured, Jacoco, Sonarqube, Sellenium, Junit etc are adequately used.
The Application Development team is responsible for the coding and integrating of the various applications running on the diverse web site. It works closely with the Project Management Office on approved scheduled projects.
The team is generally responsible for:
• Application development employing J2EE and Microsoft standards
• Integrating vendor packages
• Database modeling and scripting
• System documentation
• Production defect repair and enhancements
This person must understand the functional requirements and technical specifications of projects necessary for implementing technical solutions. This person must work effectively both as an individual contributor as well as a member of the development team in designing, developing and testing software application solutions.
The Senior Applications Developer’s responsibilities include:
• Reports to the Manager/Director of Applications Development
• Work as technical leads and architects and write and implement technical specifications related to the company’s web initiatives.
• Work with other members of the Applications Development team to implement technical specifications.
• Work with functional groups both internal to Scholastic Technology Service Group (e.g., project management, network operations.) and external in order to provide tightly integrated solutions between the web applications and the legacy backend systems.
• Be well-versed in the technologies chosen for developing Scholastic’s web application solutions (e.g., J2EE applications, JBOSS,Websphere App Server, Demandware, Adobe, Mongo DB, No SQL, Web Servicess, Open DJ, Forgerock,Solar, Search Engines,, Ajax, EJB, Struts, MQ, LDAP, DB2,Oracle, SQL Server database, MySQL,WSo2, Steboetc.).
• Write and review application code for web applications.
• Design and build applications for scalability and redundancy.
• Adhere to industry standards and Scholastic Technology Service Group-defined guidelines and principles for software engineering.
• Provide technical guidance to more junior members of the development team.
• Write documentation as needed.
• Continue to develop technical skills and learn new technologies as needed.
• Possess good communication, team work and accountability.
This individual will:
• Implement (i.e., design, develop, unit test) technical solutions for web applications based on the functional requirements and technical specifications.
• Adhere to project scope and timelines with both Agil/SAFE and waterfall approaches.
• Support and maintain online, ecommerce applications.
This individual will have working relationships with various teams within Scholastic Technology Service Group and other divisions of scholastic:
• All members of the Scholastic Technology Service Applications Development team
• Members of the Scholastic Technology Service Network Operations team
• Members of the PMO team (e.g., Project Managers)
• Outside vendors and consultants
In order for this individual to be successful, he/she must:
• Implement reliable and scalable web application solutions and e-Commerce applications.
• Have the ability to work as an individual contributor as well as a member of a development team
• Possess a BA or BS degree from an accredited university.
• 6-12 years of Software development