Sr Data Architect
New York, New York 10012
Senior Data Architect
Based in New York City the Data Architect position plays a critical role within the Technology Services group. The organization is responsible for overseeing the continuous development, improvement and operation of eCommerce, EdTech applications, Enterprise applications, Internet and Intranet applications. Currently, these systems support multi-million page views per day on the internet, and millions of eCommerce and non-eCommerce transactions per year.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Data the Data Architect will understand and enable Scholastic Company objectives by creating and communicating a strategic vision for Scholastic’ s data assets. She/he will develop, communicate, and continuously refine an architecture which enables the achievement of Scholastic’ s strategic objectives. Additionally, the Data Architect will advocate, support and enable the implementation of that architecture within the context of a well-defined and realistic roadmap.
Position responsibilities will include the following:
- Develop an understanding of the Corporations existing Data components and future technical and stakeholder product requirements.
- Map the current data structure to the future state with a realistic transition plan and roadmap that integrates with the strategic objectives of the company.
- Drive an agile-based approach to implementing data services and solutions to deliver value rapidly and evolve to the future state.
- Work closely with individuals across the STS (Scholastic Technology
- Services) organization to help promote awareness of the data architecture and ensure that enterprise assets of competence are leveraged.
- Lead Data Architecture Review Board to help ensure that technology implementations across Scholastic are in line with the Customer Information Architecture principles and vision.
- Be an advocate for Big Data Technologies and its practical implementations.
- Bring a “ hands-on” perspective with these technologies and an understanding of the “ right tool for the right job”.
- Understand current BI/Data Warehouse/Reporting landscape, assess and make recommendations for future course in line with an overall Data Architecture.
The successful candidate will possess the appropriate educational credentials (Bachelor’ s Degree in Engineering/Masters preferred) coupled with extensive enterprise level customer (B2B and B2C) data project technology solution architecture and implementation experience within a high volume customer facing business.
She/he will have 10+ years of product and enterprise architecture experience directly related to data, analytics, reporting and information lifecycle management. Additionally, the role requires 5+ years experience architecting high volume, high availability data integrations and services including Service Oriented and Micro Services architectures. This will also include experience with and a demonstrable understanding of the strengths of multiple data persistence technologies; relational, document, graph, Hadoop, etc.
The Data Architect will have developed and implemented:
- Data architectures in a hybrid data environment which combine on premises SaaS and IaaS solutions.
- Self Service BI/Data Discovery/Data Exploration/Hub-Spoke BI
- Semantic data systems (RDF/OWL/etc)
They will have experience with one or more data processing systems including Storm, Spark, Kafka, MapReduce, etc. Additionally, the successful candidate will have experience with Information Lifecycle Management including Master Data Management, Data Security, High Availability, Disaster Recovery. A proven track record building and providing technical leadership on cross functional teams is required. They must possess the skills to build an effective business relationships, establish and maintain shared architectural vision, and partner effectively with a large and diverse stakeholder community.
This position will offer the individual an opportunity to be part of an industry leader with a mission to engage children in learning and the joy of reading. She/he will serve in a critical technical role that is in the beginning of a 3 year, $100M technology transformation program to include a cultural transformation to create an engineering work place that is fun, engaging, and on the leading edge of technology. The Corporation will pay a competitive compensation package with an excellent benefits package. They recognize the financial impact of relocation, and provide a progressive relocation package. The successful candidate will have high visibility within the organization and will be in an excellent position to make both a significant contribution to the Corporation, as well as provide for future career-broadening assignments based on performance.