New York, New York 10012
The Application Architect will play an essential role in a major technology transformation being undertaken this 2 billion dollar global company.
The Application Architect will provide enterprise-wide leadership on application development and integration, as well as deep involvement in the design and development of core applications and platforms that are key areas for digital engagement with students and teachers.
- Provide architectural leadership on the development of custom software, adoption of open source applications, selection of packaged and SaaS applications, and integration of applications with other systems and the overall enterprise.
- Connect application architecture to the business needs of the company by working closely with business leaders.
- Build and maintain the current-state and future-state applications architecture views for the enterprise.
- Deliver various artifacts as part of the enterprise application architecture, including implementation models, technology matrices, communications diagrams, application use-case diagrams, migration/distribution diagrams, etc.
- Collaborate with program architects across the organization on the details of the application architecture for their particular domain.
- Champion best practices on software engineering throughout the organization.
- Drive exemplar proofs-of-concept or pilots that leverage our technology and establish the path for other similar projects.
- Work with other architects around business, data, systems, and security needs and how applications best participate in the overall enterprise architecture.
- Establish standards around development technology stacks, including languages, containers, frameworks, libraries, and design patterns.
- Participate on the architecture council to provide governance and build processes to guide and sanction critical architectural decisions.
- Monitor market/technology trends along with vendor strategies and determine potential impact to our businesses and systems.
- Develop, document, and present recommendation proposals, including selection criteria, evaluation, analysis of options, tradeoffs, justifications, and final selections.
- 8-10 years of experience designing and developing complex software solutions, minimum 3 years in architect roles with demonstrable growth in scope and complexity of the roles filled.
- BA or BS in a technical discipline, advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience as a software developer and software architect in one or more complex enterprise environments, with a strong focus on customer-facing web and mobile applications supporting multiple lines of business.
- Strong experience with building modern SaaS web applications that support 10s of millions of customers.
- Experience with services-oriented architecture and supporting technologies, defining services, establishing the service usage patterns within the enterprise including orchestration, composition, messaging patterns.
- Experience with modern REST API based architectures and supporting their implementation in a large technology eco-system.
- Experience in agile software development methods, specifically providing architecture leadership as part of an agile organization.
- Experience in education, publishing, and/or digital media is highly preferred.
- Solid knowledge of the software development lifecycle
- Experience with project management methodologies and best practices
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding, and fluid environment.
- Ability to understand the big picture and the short term perspectives of specific situations.
- Ability to influence others to achieve results.