Software Development Manager
Murray Hill, New Jersey
This company is a global provider of mission-critical network services and trading communication technology to the financial markets community. With complete focus on this sector and over 40 years of expertise, This company provides customers with integrated solutions that support traders and participants across the entire trade lifecycle, including sell-side and buy-side financial institutions, inter-dealer brokers, liquidity venues, clearing and settlement firms, independent software vendors, corporate finance departments, financial information exchange providers and market data providers. This companies’ offerings include a unified communications/application platform, award-winning trading positions, managed voice and data connectivity solutions, compliance technologies, infrastructure management and a suite of enhanced service offerings.
This global reach extends to more than 60 countries – including a network of 5, 000 customer sites over 700 cities and an installed base of approximately 120, 000 trading positions deployed worldwide. Headquartered in Jersey City, New Jersey, this company has over 900 employees located throughout the Americas and the EMEA and Asia-Pacific regions. This companies’ mission is to continually innovate to support collaboration across the global financial community and address our clients’ needs in an ever-changing landscape.
This company is seeking a results oriented leader to manage the software development for an application team. Candidate must possess excellent communication skills, strong technical experience, personnel management skills, experience in building teams and management in API development using RESTful web services.
The candidate should have experience leading development of software products and services which directly touch end-users and be comfortable with a high-level of customer interaction. The candidate should have process oriented background to software development, but also be adept at seeking new development options to speed time-to-market such as working with partners and third-parties. The candidate must have a proven track record of delivering products on time and within budget.
Position Summary and Mission:
The manager will lead R&D activities and resources for the application team in the Murray Hill, New Jersey Development Center. The manager will oversee development of the one or more product and its APIs. The manager will institute best practices for software development processes and disciplines for the development of high quality software products and services. In addition to managing staff, and product development activities, the manager will liaise with all R&D functions, Product Management, Sales, Manufacturing and Service Delivery to communicate and coordinate product delivery to customers.
Responsible for Scrum Agile software development for one or more product and its APIs
Manage a large team of software developers, both on-shore and off-shore
Identify, acquire and/or train as necessary, the skill set required to maintain the discipline’ s capabilities and competencies to meet the demands of the product development plan.
Provide mentoring to staff regarding setting team direction and vision, including motivating people to perform, listening to people, providing feedback, recognizing strengths, and providing challenges.
Develop career objectives for staff that challenges the team and increases retention
Ensure company policy is enforced in administrative matters (performance reviews, timesheets, vacation time, purchase orders, expense reports, etc.)
Manage all activities associated with developing software products and applications
Engage local and off-shore partners with SOW, proposals for product development.
Active management of the off-shore development resources including team selection.
Represent the product discipline in technical discussions with customers
Interface with Product Management in the area of requirements.
Responsible and accountable for the activities and performance of his software discipline
Represent the software discipline’ s interest at the executive and cross discipline level
Represent the R&D at internal and external events as required
Ensure that the discipline is operationally efficient at all times and its activities stay within the approved budget
Assigns/Removes Lead Engineers to/from a Project Team
Aligns his team with the software development objectives, technical direction and priorities set by the director of Software development
Ensure appropriate standards and practices are documented, maintained and applied to all projects and services supplied by the discipline
Apply appropriate performance metrics, analyze the results and take appropriate actions to ensure the continuous improvement of the discipline (time to market, quality, capacity and predictability)
Review all commitments made by discipline members to ensure they can be realistically achieved and follow up to make sure they are met (risk management)
Escalation point for Project Management to resolve project issues related to the discipline
· At least 3 years’ experience as a software manager with 4+ direct reports
· At least 3 years’ experience in a technical lead role in an agile environment
· At least 5 years’ experience working as a software engineer
· 1-2 years’ Experience managing off-shore development
· Experience delivering RESTful APIs
· Proven working knowledge of testing methods, tools and software testing best practices
· J2EE development experience including Spring, Hibernate, JPA
· Experience with relational databases, database access controls, and secure data replication over SSL.
· Strong knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and SCM (Software Configuration Management) tools.
· Excellent communication skills (including presentation, verbal and written)
· Strong experience with building and leading software development teams including extensive use of outsourced members of the team locally and off-shore
· Strong interpersonal skills, including group facilitation, mediation and conflict resolution
· Experience in identifying, negotiating and working with vendors and development partners
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Can perform in-depth work analysis and develop project budgets and projections
· Very strong organizational skills
· Proven ability to manage multiple projects, under tight deadlines, often with competing priorities and complexities
· Ability to prioritize along critical path and meet project milestones and deliverable dates
Desired: The more the better
· Demonstrated strong experience with OOA/D/P, UML, design patterns, frameworks and tools
· Worked as Scrum Master with Safe Agile and Kanban principles
· Experience with Rational Team Concert
· Fluency in XML.
· Experience in using Search engines Lucene, Solr or Elasticsearch
· Implementation knowledge of messaging solutions like Kafka is a plus
· Java language programming on Unix/Linux operating systems
· Knowledge of Linux administration, configuration and security.
· JDBC, database design, SQL programming, stored procedure development
· Bachelor Degree is required with a discipline in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
· Master Degree in a Technology Area or Management is preferred
This company offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Long and Short Term Disability, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-tax Commuter Program, Employee Assistance Program, Aflac, Tuition Reimbursement, Vacation/Personal/Sick Days.